Our multi-disciplinary life sciences group is led by recognised leading experts Patrick Farrant and Dr David Rainford. We have a track record of acting for world leading research institutes, leading life science investors as well as established drug development and pharmaceutical companies.
Our practice covers the full range of legal advice including major partnering/licensing deals, regulatory and IP strategy – as well as funding support. We are regularly asked to advise on complex, challenging legal and regulatory issues that arise in connection with the cutting edge science our clients perform.
Our expertise includes:
- Advising a wide range of players in the industry: research institutes, disease charities, start-ups, venture backed, listed and multi-national
- Representing pharmaceutical enterprises undertaking complex collaboration and licensing agreement negotiations
- IP commercialisation and strategy, as well as trade mark clearance proceedings and brand protection – in 2015 we dealt with trade mark matters in 38 countries in Europe, North America, South America, Africa, Asia and Australasia
- R&D and regulatory issues particularly around genomics and data
- Significant funding practice - we act on between 80 and 100 funding rounds for tech companies in a typical year
Recent issues we have advised on:
- Legal, ethical and regulatory issues involved in drug development derived from an individual patient sample
- Optimal structures to access tissue bank and associated data, and exploit arising data and IP
- Multi-jurisdiction review of regulation of generic pharmaceuticals
- Complex arrangements to licence IP created in an academic setting and to access on going developments in the relevant field
- Legal issues arising from convergence of genomic sequencing, data science and machine learning
Make an enquiry
Unique insights straight from the experts.