I am a specialist charities and social ventures lawyer, leading our work with social purpose organisations. I work with innovative charities and social ventures to help them deliver strategic plans, resolve governance challenges, exploit commercial opportunities and design efficient systems to mitigate legal and regulatory risks.
I have a particular interest in the future of charities, social ventures and philanthropy at a time of rapid technological and social changes, and I’m an active member of the Tech for Good community. I am always happy to speak to people who share these interests and to explore the opportunities and challenges these present for you and your organisation.
I know the Charity Commission inside out, and can help you understand and navigate the evolving rules and best practices of charity law and regulation and the nuances of Charity Commission regulatory enquiries.
I joined Taylor Vinters because of its innovative and international perspective and its friendly people. I’m delighted to be able to connect charities and social ventures with our wider team of bright, committed specialists, as part of our seamless service. Together, we can help you with your most complex, most innovative projects such as:
- Purpose, ethics and transparency – opening up and defining your purpose, while protecting the organisation
- Collaborating with others – charities, social ventures, academic institutions and commercial partners
- Working internationally, including sanctions, payment systems and new reporting requirements
- Developing digital products and services for beneficiaries, and digital transformation
- Strategic management of internal and external investigations and litigation, including regulatory enquiries
- Guiding businesses and individuals on effective giving structures and setting up new purpose-driven structures.
Before joining Taylor Vinters, I was a senior lawyer at the Charity Commission and a member of its leadership team, working on the most complex and high risk issues in the charity sector. I started my legal career at Freshfields, a large international firm, where I spent seven years helping clients with cross-border regulatory investigations and economic sanctions, for which I was awarded ‘Associate of the Year’ at the British Legal Awards 2011.
Outside the office, I will mostly be found in and around London with my young family. My current voluntary work is focused on:
- encouraging tech entrepreneurs to give their time, talent and resources for social good, as a member and chair of Founders Pledge’s Audit & Risk Committee; and
- helping local nursery schools in Cambridge to secure their financial future, as Joint Chair of the Cambridge Nursery Federation.
I’d love to hear more about your charity or social venture – please contact me by email or phone.
Professional bodies and associations
- Member of the Charity Law Association