Our fees cover all of the work required to complete the sale of your home, including dealing with the redemption of your mortgage (if any).
|Property value of up to £450,000||Property value of up to £1M||Property value of £1M-£2M||Property value of £2M+|
|Fixed legal fee for standard transaction||£1,850||£2,000||£2,350||0.15% of property value|
|VAT||£370||£400||£470||20% of fee|
|Total legal fee including VAT||£2,220||£2,400||£2,820||Dependant on property price|
|Search fees (including VAT)||£360 - £600|
|HM Land Registry fee||£15 (approximate)|
|Electronic money transfer fee (including VAT)||£12 per transfer|
|Total anticipated disbursements (based on 1x transfer)||£387 - £627|
No property is exactly the same and our fees will reflect the particular requirements of your sale. We will always give you an individual cost estimate at the start, taking into account the actual features of your sale.
* The fee outlined above assumes that:
- this is a standard transaction and that no unforeseen matters arise including for example (but not limited to) a defect in title which requires remedying prior to completion or the preparation of additional documents ancillary to the main transaction
- the transaction is concluded in a timely manner and no unforeseen complication arise
- all parties to the transaction are co-operative and there is no unreasonable delay from third parties providing documentation
The fee outlined above does not include:
- exclusivity agreements
- expediting the transaction
- Indemnity policies
- tax advice, including payment of capital gains, or submitting a return to the HMRC for overseas landlords.
We can assist with any of the above if required, and we will provide a fee quote before we proceed. If there are any unexpected complications during the sale of the property, we will always inform you and discuss any potential consequences and impact on price before additional fees are incurred.
**Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties. We handle the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process.
How long it will take from accepting an offer until the sale completes will depend on a number of factors. The average process takes between 4 to 6 weeks.
It can be quicker or slower, depending on the parties in the chain. For example, if you have a first time buyer, with a mortgage in principle, it could take an additional few weeks. However, if the sale is dependent on a longer chain, this can take significantly longer, between 3 to 4 months.
The precise stages involved in the sale of a residential property vary according to the circumstances. However, below we have listed the key stages that we would typically expect in a standard property sale.
- Take your instructions and give you initial advice
- Check if you have any specific requirements or related purchase.
- Arrange for you to complete all the relevant forms required.
- Prepare the draft contract documentation, and send to buyer’s solicitors.
- Reply to any enquiries raised.
- Send the contract to you to sign
- Exchange contracts once we have your authority to do so
- Prepare and send to you all the documentation required for completion
- Obtain a redemption statement from your lender (if any)
- Complete sale
- Redeem your mortgage (if any)
- Send to you proceeds of sale
- Send out all post completion documentation.
Our real estate team has experience in delivering high quality work in all matters relating to conveyancing. The team has particular expertise in the sale, purchase or refinance of freehold and leasehold property, including complex transactions, for high net worth UK and overseas clients, owner occupiers, investors, clients with investment portfolios, as well as secured lending for UK and overseas lenders.
Any of the team below may work on your matter:
- Rupert Melville-Ross, Partner
- Andrew Williamson, Partner
- James Slinger, Partner
- Nessa Barry, Senior Associate
- Louise Moore, Associate
- Thomas Andrews, Associate
- Zoe Johnston, Associate
- Mary Sargent, Associate
- Joshua Butt, Paralegal
- Zhuoyi Wang, Paralegal
Regardless of who works on your matter, they will be supervised by Nessa Barry, Senior Associate.
Click here to view the profiles of our Real Estate team.